Tuesday, January 7, 2014

12/04/1989

It was lunch time at the funeral home, and as it had become common practice since her accident the month before, brother and sister were discussing the accident and her car. Sitting back enjoying his lunch and occasionally putting in his two cents, he didn’t realize when the conversation changed.

                “Isn't it the anniversary of your dad’s death?” his cousin and best friend asked him, as he turned to look at him.

                “Yeah it is. It’s also one of my girl’s birthday too.” He shared with the group as they all looked at him. “Dad’s been dead twenty-four years, so that makes my daughter thirty four I believe it is.” He added, before anybody caught him off guard with the questions of how long and how old. “It was a bad day that year.”

                “A bad day?” his cousin questioned, as he nodded his head.

                “Yup. During the night dad started to fail, so I took mom up to the hospital, but he died right before we got there. So I told them not to call the funeral home, that I was going to drop mom off, pick up the cot and come back and get him.” He started, as she broke into laughter and cut him off accidentally.

                “But the hospital was being so efficient that day that they didn't’t listen and called the funeral home.” She stated, before she realized what she had done and looked over at him to apologize. “Opps. Sorry.”

                “That’s okay. But she’s right. So I got back here and came upstairs to break the news that dad had died, when my darling wife tells me that she’s sorry that my dad died. So I ask her how she knows, and she confirms that the hospital did exactly what I had told them not to do, which was call the funeral home.” He finished as his cousin laughed.

                “Is that how we get them to call the funeral home? Have the families tell them not to call us.” He questioned, as everyone laughed.

                “Apparently. So I go and pick up dad and bring him back here. In the meantime, there’s a birthday party suppose to be getting set up so she goes to pick up the cake and a few groceries at the store where CVS is now. While she’s there, she gets robbed and calls me here, freaked out and sounding almost like you did when you called me the night of your accident.” He explains as he nods his head over towards the young girl.

                “If she was half as scared as I was, calling you was the best choice to make. I know it was when I did.” She said as she smiled at him. “Thanks again for coming by the way.”

                “Don’t worry about it. Anyways, so we deal with her purse getting stolen, come back to the funeral home and manage to have a wonderful birthday party. But getting to the party was a horrible day.” He says, as he bites into his sandwich.

                “Well then, lets hope she has a much better birthday then she did when she was turning four.” His cousin replied as everyone shook their heads.

                “If we were drinking, I’d drink to that.” He said with a smile on his face. He truly did hope that his little girl was having a better birthday then the one he remembered so well.


























No comments:

Post a Comment