Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Strohs, Darts and Engagements

Taking another swig from her bottle of Stroh's, she sighed. She was exhausted. Leaning back in her bar stool, she glanced over at the couple who were shooting pool a few feet away, and allowed her mind to drift back to that afternoon where she had won two rounds of pool against one of the guys from the funeral home.

"Did I just hear him right?" The man sitting across from her asked, breaking her train of thought. "Did he just say they were playing for her phone number?"

"Yup. Dating isn't what it was when you were dating sir. Wish it still was." She sighed, taking another swig. "Unless its me, then dating doesn't exist."

"Oh? What makes you say that?" he questioned, as he stabbed a meatball and popped it in his mouth. "You're a very attractive young lady, with a great head. You'd be a wonderful catch for any man." He stated, as she took another drink.

"Not working in a funeral home I'm not. Guys get freaked out when I tell them I work with the dead. It's like I have a disease or something." She replied, as she took a bite from her sandwich. "And if they aren't freaked out, its because they're already in the business and already understand working with the dead." She added, as she looked back over that the couple.

"That can't be true." He answered, as she turned back around to look at him.

"Oh, why wouldn't it be?" she asked amused now. "If you look at my track record, it isn't wonderful I'm afraid. The guy I was dating in high school couldn't remember who his girlfriend was. After that, there was Zach who wanted to move super quick..." She said as she sighed. "But regardless..." She started before trailing off and having another swig of beer.

"Regardless?" he questioned her, prompting her to continue, but no luck. She just shook her head and went back to watching the couple shooting pool.

~
"How did you meet your wife?" she questioned about an hour later, as they finished their dinners and were now throwing darts. 

"You know how." He answered, before he turned and smiled at her. "But okay. If you insist. You know that she's his cousin and I met her at his wedding. We started dating a few weeks after the wedding." He added, as she nodded her head and threw a dart at the board. 

"So how did you know she was "the one"?" she questioned, as she handed him the darts and marked down her score. 

"Just did." He replied. "So I asked her to marry me." 

"Did you do the whole down on one knee thing?" she asked, now intently listening. He normally never went into detail like it sounded like he was about to do right now.

"No. I kept it simple. I just told her I loved her and asked her to marry me." He answered, as he threw his last dart and they walked over to the board to see how he had done. 

"Did you ask her dad for her hand first?" she questioned. "Because after my failed engagement, I highly recommend that to anyone." She added, as he smiled.

"No I didn't actually. We told our parents the following weekend actually. We took them out to dinner, I think it was the same place actually that we held our wedding reception, and we told them that we were engaged." He said, and she could see the hints of him actually remembering the moment. 

"That sounds nice. How did they take it?" she asked, as she took a drink from her bottle.

"They asked if we were in trouble actually, as we hadn't been dating very long before I asked her." He said nonchalantly, as she choked on her beer. Turning to look at her, he had a faint smile on his lips.

"They actually thought you might have gotten her pregnant?" she asked, surprised. "You hadn't, had you? Wait, never mind. I shouldn't have asked that." She quickly added, but he continued to smile.

"They did, and no I didn't. But back then, the only reason one got married quickly after dating for such a short amount of time was if the girl was pregnant. It wasn't so in our case, but looking back now, it was funny that they would think that." He told her, as she laughed as her phone rang. Looking down at the caller id, she sighed. It was her brother with the body they had sent him to get. "Time to get back?" he asked, as she nodded her head sadly. She was enjoying herself. 

"Yeah. They're at 117th street." She said sadly as he smiled, finished his drink and handed her the darts. 

"Then we should take off. We told them we'd meet them there." He said, as they headed for the bar to close out the tab and then headed out the door back to work once more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment